So a couple of weeks back we left Cusco to travel down on the most horrible road know to mankind where the person sitting next me, a local peruivan guy clearly could not handle the motion decided to be sick next to me! On my new rucksack and on my shoes! great! i moved swiftly to the back of the bus to avoid gagging from the smell and continued the 14 hr bus journey in peace!
We went to a small oasis called Huachina for 2 days which was really sweet and quaint but nothing really to do apart from sandboarding which Tash did but not me. So we moved on quickly up to Lima for an afternoon before we caught another bus straight on up to Huaraz. We had such a nice afternoon in Lima. Everyone sayes that Lima is really boring but I really liked it and we found some nice places and it was really good to be out of alitude and near the sea. We walked around Miraflores which is the nice part of town and had the most massive milkshake EVER! divine! And even went on a bus tour of Miraflores...very touristy of us but actually quite fun!
Then caught an overnight bus to Huaraz which is the trekking capital of Peru but very quite this time of the year because its the rainy season. Tash wasn´t feeling great so I went on little day trips around the local area and it was really beautiful. Here are a few pics of Lima....

Huaraz-
The first day I trekked to Lake Churup which is meant to be beautiful but because of the rain and mist I could not see a thing. It was super cold and the final climb up to the lake was really dangerous because of how wet it was and there were several times when I thought I would fall...not cool when you are trekking alone! So Churup was a bit of a disappointment to be honest.

But the next day was gorgeous sunshine so I took a bike and cycled around the city and up the most massive hill know to mankind. I pushed the bike most of the way then chained it to a tree. I didn´t really have much of an idea where I was going and afterwards someone told me that it is unadvisable to go to the area i walked though because people get mugged but it seemed fine to me. Most of the way up the valley hill i was following this local lady who was herding her sheep up to the top for pasture so she was a pretty good guide. But Huaraz is 3052 m so pretty high and even walking around you really feel the altitude on your breathing.

So the last day I decided to go to the famous lake 69 which is a 3 hr drive away from Huaraz and I decided to get local transport there instead of paying over 10 pounds to get there! which was really fun. The hike itself was gorgeous! One of the best I have done in South America and me and the french girl I was with were blessed with good weather and it didn´t rain on us. The lake which is settled between these incredible mountains was actually surrounded by snow and when we were at the top it snowed a little bit! But it was really beautiful and well worth the walk up to it.


We wanted to hitch hike back to Huaraz but instead got in this taxi by mistake but we got back fine using public transport despite the hostel people warning us repeatly that we would be stuck there!
So a very action packed few days for me. It was gorgeous walking but it would have been even nicer in the rain and there were more longer treks to do as well but as it was we kinda ran out of time as we are heading over to a little beach town for Christmas!
All for now
J xxxx
We went to a small oasis called Huachina for 2 days which was really sweet and quaint but nothing really to do apart from sandboarding which Tash did but not me. So we moved on quickly up to Lima for an afternoon before we caught another bus straight on up to Huaraz. We had such a nice afternoon in Lima. Everyone sayes that Lima is really boring but I really liked it and we found some nice places and it was really good to be out of alitude and near the sea. We walked around Miraflores which is the nice part of town and had the most massive milkshake EVER! divine! And even went on a bus tour of Miraflores...very touristy of us but actually quite fun!
Then caught an overnight bus to Huaraz which is the trekking capital of Peru but very quite this time of the year because its the rainy season. Tash wasn´t feeling great so I went on little day trips around the local area and it was really beautiful. Here are a few pics of Lima....
![]() |
| Park of love |
![]() |
| police roving the streets! |

Huaraz-
The first day I trekked to Lake Churup which is meant to be beautiful but because of the rain and mist I could not see a thing. It was super cold and the final climb up to the lake was really dangerous because of how wet it was and there were several times when I thought I would fall...not cool when you are trekking alone! So Churup was a bit of a disappointment to be honest.

But the next day was gorgeous sunshine so I took a bike and cycled around the city and up the most massive hill know to mankind. I pushed the bike most of the way then chained it to a tree. I didn´t really have much of an idea where I was going and afterwards someone told me that it is unadvisable to go to the area i walked though because people get mugged but it seemed fine to me. Most of the way up the valley hill i was following this local lady who was herding her sheep up to the top for pasture so she was a pretty good guide. But Huaraz is 3052 m so pretty high and even walking around you really feel the altitude on your breathing.

So the last day I decided to go to the famous lake 69 which is a 3 hr drive away from Huaraz and I decided to get local transport there instead of paying over 10 pounds to get there! which was really fun. The hike itself was gorgeous! One of the best I have done in South America and me and the french girl I was with were blessed with good weather and it didn´t rain on us. The lake which is settled between these incredible mountains was actually surrounded by snow and when we were at the top it snowed a little bit! But it was really beautiful and well worth the walk up to it.


We wanted to hitch hike back to Huaraz but instead got in this taxi by mistake but we got back fine using public transport despite the hostel people warning us repeatly that we would be stuck there!
So a very action packed few days for me. It was gorgeous walking but it would have been even nicer in the rain and there were more longer treks to do as well but as it was we kinda ran out of time as we are heading over to a little beach town for Christmas!
All for now
J xxxx


No comments:
Post a Comment