Hi Everyone,
It has been a long while since my last blog post and so I have finally got around to writing this and keeping in touch with everyone.
So I landed in Sydney back on the 15th March on a working holiday visa which allows me to stay up to 1 year in Australia - working with one employee for no more than 6 months and with the possibility of extending the visa up to another year if you spend 3 months or 88 days working on a farm or as it is know here - doing your regional. I recently met someone who just got back from working on a trout farm gutting and looking after trout for 3 months - this didn't exactly appeal to me but she met a very nice young man while she was 'outback' which seemed to work a treat! Everyone has their own story about regional work whether it is back breaking work picking onions or wine picking in Tazzy! No idea when and where I am going to do mine but I'm sure it will be an interesting time.
So back to Sydney. The first few weeks were pure touristy madness. Going to the beaches, seeing the opera house, the bridge etc and generally exploring the city. I actually bumped into Tash with her friend Izzie on my first day out and about as it was in Hyde Park and since then we have reunited the dream team! First big event for us was St Patrick's day which is a big deal here and was loads of fun. there was a massive parade, drinking in the parks and amazing sunshine. Just blissful. In between this was copious coffee dates with various people and in the middle of all that we were busy updating our CVs and searching for jobs. With basically no experience and very small CV I managed after 3 weeks to get a job as a receptionist working for Hays Recruitment - which is possibly the perfect working holiday job. Great security and hours , great pay and a really nice office. I get to sit , search the internet and greet people and that is pretty much my job!
In between all of this - we have been exploring the city. Going to the famous Bondi beach, playing golf at the Bondi beach course, visiting the numerous bars and cafes which there are plenty of so that takes up a lot of time! We even ventured up to the north beaches to where Home and Away is filmed for those of you interested and popped down to Melbourne for the weekend too with a friend who i met travelling 3 years ago!
I have now moved out of the hostel 2 weeks ago now and living in a small but perfectly formed flat in Surry Hills - a very cool hip location - according to people. where there is the best ice cream place in town, more cafes and yet more bars! I am 10 mins away from Centennial park - the largest one in city and another close by and i can still walk to work! pretty ideal! So for the time being i am working nd living in this big thriving city that constantly excites me ad challenges me. next stop is to find the boat club and get out sailing.
It has been a long while since my last blog post and so I have finally got around to writing this and keeping in touch with everyone.
So I landed in Sydney back on the 15th March on a working holiday visa which allows me to stay up to 1 year in Australia - working with one employee for no more than 6 months and with the possibility of extending the visa up to another year if you spend 3 months or 88 days working on a farm or as it is know here - doing your regional. I recently met someone who just got back from working on a trout farm gutting and looking after trout for 3 months - this didn't exactly appeal to me but she met a very nice young man while she was 'outback' which seemed to work a treat! Everyone has their own story about regional work whether it is back breaking work picking onions or wine picking in Tazzy! No idea when and where I am going to do mine but I'm sure it will be an interesting time.
So back to Sydney. The first few weeks were pure touristy madness. Going to the beaches, seeing the opera house, the bridge etc and generally exploring the city. I actually bumped into Tash with her friend Izzie on my first day out and about as it was in Hyde Park and since then we have reunited the dream team! First big event for us was St Patrick's day which is a big deal here and was loads of fun. there was a massive parade, drinking in the parks and amazing sunshine. Just blissful. In between this was copious coffee dates with various people and in the middle of all that we were busy updating our CVs and searching for jobs. With basically no experience and very small CV I managed after 3 weeks to get a job as a receptionist working for Hays Recruitment - which is possibly the perfect working holiday job. Great security and hours , great pay and a really nice office. I get to sit , search the internet and greet people and that is pretty much my job!
In between all of this - we have been exploring the city. Going to the famous Bondi beach, playing golf at the Bondi beach course, visiting the numerous bars and cafes which there are plenty of so that takes up a lot of time! We even ventured up to the north beaches to where Home and Away is filmed for those of you interested and popped down to Melbourne for the weekend too with a friend who i met travelling 3 years ago!
I have now moved out of the hostel 2 weeks ago now and living in a small but perfectly formed flat in Surry Hills - a very cool hip location - according to people. where there is the best ice cream place in town, more cafes and yet more bars! I am 10 mins away from Centennial park - the largest one in city and another close by and i can still walk to work! pretty ideal! So for the time being i am working nd living in this big thriving city that constantly excites me ad challenges me. next stop is to find the boat club and get out sailing.
![]() |
| harbour bridge by night |
![]() |
| Manly |
![]() |
| opera house |
![]() |
| pitch invasion after the Waratahs game on saturday night |




No comments:
Post a Comment