Monday, 23 September 2013

last few days in sydney...!

HI All

Not quite sure where I last left off because I didn’t upload the latest blog post because I wanted to add photos into it and then it all just got very complicated and I never did anything about it! However, with exactly 1 week left in Sydney I thought I would write a little piece about my last few months here.

In a word – these last few months have been busy.  I started working at Rainford Street Social restaurant which took up my weekends, nights and social life and the rest of my time was spent sleeping, eating and going to yoga!  The good thing out of all this work is that I have saved up enough money to go travelling which is great and I cannot wait to get out of the office, out of the suit and into shorts and t-shirts and to have a lie in!!  

Rainford street social

As well as working very hard I have also had a chance to enjoy my last few months here and been going to a few little cultural events.  I got tickets to go and listen to Joel Satore who is a National Geographic photographer/journalist and he talked about his amazing work all over the world.  Part of the reason I wanted to go and listen to him was because it was being held in the Opera House but it was actually a really interesting event and some of his stories were unreal.  One story in particular stuck with me.  In an attempt to get a good photo he and some locals constructed a lookout tower in the jungle so that Joel could stay up there for 8, yes 8 days to get photo he needed!! I think that shows how much dedication is needed to this profession.  

Other things I have been up to is going to the theatre.  I actually miss the theatre/musicals.  If you don’t have the option for it you miss it.  However I did manage to get tickets to go and see Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead – by Tom Stoppard which was outstanding.  It is a fantastic play and I just sat and enjoyed every minute of it.  Because I studied both Hamlet and Arcadia at school I was geeked out by this play.  I LOVED it! And I got the ticket for $20 which was fantastic.

theatre ticket

I have also been bonding with my housemates....we went out partying on a Thursday to a massive club called the Ivy –which is meant to be super cool because it has a rooftop bar/pool area. It was such a fun night and all the girls were on top form but boy it did hurt on Friday!

girls from the house - bellevue girls :) 

So 1 week to go....until the next adventure. Literally cannot wait to move on..  Sydney has been great and it is such an easy place to live and the longer you live here the more you become intertwined with other people – especially English/Irish.  Everyone knows everyone else it seems!  But reception work is dull and boring.  Everyone wants me to become a consultant and work for Hays – and restaurant want me to stay as well and keep saying they want to sponsor me....just so in demand at the moment!!  But I’m not ready to settle yet.  So off I go.

hays girls - having last friday drinks before i leave
famous messina ice cream place

No comments:

Post a Comment