
So I did plan to do a lot of walking in South Island and my ankle (thank god) did not interfere with any of my plans. After completing the Heaphy Track I set off down the West and windy coast of the South Island. My first stop was at Punakaiki - which is a really small little place and you can see the 'pancake rocks' there.
And I also did this really nice walk - a gentle 5 hrs around the surrounding area which wasn't meant to be that long but kinda ended up being that long and by that time I was exhausted so hitched a ride back to my hostel! very lazy but very necessary.
After that I got back onto the bus and stopped briefly in a small place called Hokitka which wasn't very interesting before making my way down to Fox Glacier which was actually super cool. I had a really good day and I hiked up to see the glacier which wasn't as impressive as the Puerto Moreno glacier but still good to go and see. The Fox glacier had this lovely grain through the ice which is all the mud and rock it has picked up and because it hasn't rained in a while and I thought that made it look even better.
Glacier formed a bit part of the landscape in NZ was it was great to see one along the way of my travels. This is the less busy and less touristy glacier and you can even do a skydive over it which I thought would be really amazing but wanted to save my money for other activities.
![]() |
| Fox glacier |
![]() |
| The walk to Fox glacier |
So back again on the Intercity bus and off down to Wanaka which is a small town on the edge of a massive lake and really pretty. But I was only staying one night so I didn't do much around the area but just met up with some other travellers I had met before and we all cooked dinner together and had a few beers by the lake which apparently is 'the thing' to do!
Back on the bus down to Queenstown now which is the busiest place I have been and probably the most touristy but at the same time I was loving all of that. Most of the places on the West Coast are pretty small and quiet so it was nice to have a bit of a buzz around the place. I settled in and sorted out my track stuff. Decided to do the Ben Lomond which is a good 5/6 hr hike UP a MASSIVE hill! Why I decided to do this before my 3 day Kepler track I will never know! But the hike was totally worth it and simply outstanding views.
![]() |
| part of queenstown |
![]() |
| at the top! |
![]() |
| Add caption |
![]() |
| gorgeous vista |
Kepler track pics

![]() |
| 1st night hut |
![]() |
| highest point jump - in my new very pink waterproof |

![]() |
| wiggly path |
![]() |
| kinda massive mountains for company! |
![]() |
| almost the end of day 2 |
![]() |
| beautiful wetland |
So as you can see its a pretty diverse walk over the 3 days. I enjoyed all of it- of course! And met some really great people along the way as usual. I think my favourite people are the walking people I meet on hikes because they are the most like minded people and always slightly crazy so I fit right in!
So Kepler completed and only the Routeburn and Mueller hut to go now on my list of walks to do. The Routeburn is only 2 days and Mueller hut is a day walk but I think I might actually be walked out by the end of the trip!
Anyway enjoy all the pics and my silly writings.
All for now
Jess xxx











No comments:
Post a Comment